Thursday, September 09, 2004

Where is my destination?

In past few years people and specially my family accused me of not trying hard to reach a destination. They always think that I must become someone important and wealthy and when I say these are not things that are important to me, they accuse me of laziness (I accept that am a little lazy!). But the truth is I never envied life of those successful people that my family believe must be my role models. They always seem in hurry. They are nervous (I am nervous too, but for other reasons!). All they do is trying very hard to be more successful, wealthier and more powerful. I actually saw what these people are able to do to reach these things. Maybe I am cynical, but as far as I saw, most workplaces are more like a jungle that people will do anything to get bigger portion of the hunt. I hate to be like this. Offcourse if somebody try hard and always assume morals in his work and live free of these ambitions, he can live clean, but at least in few places that I worked, being like this is equal to being the last one in everything. Until few years ago I always modelled life as a hill that as you go higher, the weather is better and nature is more beautiful. All my efforts were centred on somehow crawling to a higher place in this hill of social status. Now I start to realize maybe the road is more important than all destinations. If I enjoy my today, insn't this more important than just sitting in my office in hope of being someone important when I am old and can't enjoy anything but my memories? For how long I want to run? How much time left for me to enjoy my destination? Can't a road be more beautiful than any destination?
GR
... And I just love David Gerrold's works. He is a great science fiction writer and he is gay. He adopted a troubled boy and raised him by himself. I think The Martian Child is one of the greatest stories ever told.