Sunday, September 05, 2004

Jumbled and Disconnected Dots.

"Do you read Sunday comics? When I was a little kid, I used to put my face up close to them; I was just amazed, because it was these massive dots. I think life is like that sometimes. But I think from god's perspective everything, even this, make sense. Isn’t just dots. Instead we are all connected and it's beautiful and it's funny and it's good. From this close we can't expect it make sense right now." This is how Aaron describes the world in Latter Days. Aaron is a Mormon missionary who come to L.A. with some of his fellows to advertise for his church. But he has a little secret. His worst secret. He is a homosexual. After a while he meet Christine. A gay party boy who fell for him on first sight. He resist the temptation but as his mother tell him later, forces of EVIL are so strong! His fellows catch him and Christine with locked lips and he is sent back to his hometown in shame. His church and his family excommunicate him. His family seems more concerned about how people look at them while they go to mall for shopping than how their son feels. So he commits suicide. It's unsuccessful and he is sent to an institute to cure his abomination by things like electric shocks, ice and hard work. Through a chain of coincidences that are more like miracles, he and Christine find each other again and live happily ever after. I must confess that I love this film and specially that candy sweet, miraculous happy ending. This film is about miracles, about how god has really a plan for all of us. I just think about that greater portion of gay boys that nobody can stitch them up after their brief and disastrous affairs with sharp objects. Those boys who never hear voice of an angel. Maybe I look at world from too close to realize story of the comic book. Where am I in this story?

GR

... And Gamespot put up first ever video of gay marriage in a computer game as far as I know.